Wherever you are, whatever you are doing –Just Stop!
Take a moment, and then another, and choose to be still.
Instead of playing the roles of shopper, teacher, cleaner, financial planner, gift wrapper, mother, father, and whatever other…. you get the message—
Don’t even slow down, but actually sit down, prop your feet, and rest in His presence.
…. Ahhh, so much better, isn’t it?
Like the psalmist, you will find rejuvenation in the presence of the Lord, “Return to your rest, my soul, for the Lord has been good to you.” Psalm 116:7
As Christian parents raising our children in a secular society, it is important that we remember who we are in Christ.
Can you hear His still, small voice whispering a knowing that:
- God will never love you more nor less than He does right now; He loves you unconditionally with His perfect love. Perfection is not an option for parents, but starting again is. When you mess up, forgive yourself as Christ forgives and move forward. “I know that your love will last for all time, that your faithfulness is as permanent as the sky.” Psalm 89:2
- You are perfectly designed on purpose, with purpose, and for His purpose. God is doing something new and exciting in your life, and it begins right where you are. No longer like a leaf attached to its limb, you have been catapulted from comfort to adventure. Your child takes you to people and places where you never would have gone to do things you never would have done. “For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:10
- You are called to parent this generation to change this nation for Christ. Christian parenting is intentional, never accidental. Committed and perseverant, you can leave this world a better place through your child. “He commanded our fathers (mothers) to teach to their children, that the next generation might know them, the children yet unborn, and arise and tell them to their children, so that they should set their hope in God and not forget the works of God, but keep His commandments…” Psalm 78:5-7
- You are equipped for the call, and your children are your assignment. Anointed, gifted, talented—You have yet to see the strength and wisdom packaged in your parental DNA to teach your children truth. “And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.” Deuteronomy 6:6-7
- You will finish your parenting race successfully with God on your side. Raising godly children is a marathon race, not a track sprint. We succeed only by relying on Christ. There will be moments of frustration and anticipation coupled with emotions of absolute exhilaration, but through it all, let His Word be your guide, and you will finish well. “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6
In the midst of the laundry and dirty dishes, beneath the deadlines and bills, He whispers, I have assigned you a calling. Your mission field identifies you,
And you rise to the title greater than any corporate one given. A place of the heart, a stirring within the soul—a knowing that you are exactly where you need to be to love the children entrusted to you.
You have never been more ready to raise Godly children than you are right now. May the Lord bless and refresh you in your sacred ministry as a parent.
“Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.” Psalm 127:3