You should pray for your children’s conversion because:
1. Their salvation is so great a prize that it is worth all the pains which your prayer to secure it for them may cost you.
2. Few will pray for them if you do not.
Though we are commanded to intercede for all men (1 Tim. 2:1), few engage in this duty as they should. . .
3. No one else can pray for them as you do.
The genuine love you have for your children, the tenderness you feel for them and your knowledge of their make-up, needs and problems, qualify you to plead with God on their behalf with an urgency and earnestness which can take no refusal. . . .
4. Your omitting to do so will be perilous to them and to you.
God notes our attempts to fulfill our parental obligations. It is not to unfaithful, prayerless parents that his exceeding great and precious promises are addressed:
“But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him, and His righteousness to children’s children, to such as keep His covenant, and to those who remember His commandments to do them.” (Ps. 103:17-18)
5. You will then find it easier to perform other parental duties on the performance of which God has conditioned their salvation.
God commended Abraham for being one who would fulfill his parental duties (Gen. 18:18-19):
“And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.” (Deut. 6:6-7)
6. Prayer alone can call into exercise that divine power in their behalf, which is absolutely necessary in order that the prayers which you may employ for their salvation may not be used in vain. . . .
7. By their salvation, granted in answer to your prayers, your Savior will be glorified. . . .
8. You have a strong encouragement and incentive to do so in the explicit promise of God that, if you are faithful to your trust, He will be their God.
Because God loves his own people with a love which passes knowledge, they cannot earnestly plead for such a thing as the salvation of their children without having power with him. In addition to this, his love for them causes Him to have tenderness for their children. They also are beloved by Him and are dear to Him for their parents’ sake.
This Article can be found here.