We’ve written quite a bit about sexual assault on the Resurgence because it is a huge issue (1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men have been or will be assaulted during their lifetime). Heartbreakingly, many of the victims of this epidemic are children: 15% of those assaulted are under age 12, and 29% are between ages 12 to 17. Girls between the ages of 16 and 19 are four times more likely than the general population to be victims of sexual assault. Here are eight ways you as a parent can protect your children from sexual abuse.
1. EXPLAIN TO YOUR CHILD THAT GOD MADE THEIR BODY.
2. TEACH PROPER NAMES OF PRIVATE BODY PARTS.
3. INVITE YOUR CHILD’S COMMUNICATION.
4. DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN GOOD TOUCH AND BAD TOUCH.
5. DON’T ASK YOUR CHILD TO MAINTAIN YOUR EMOTIONS.
6. THROW OUT THE WORD “SECRET.”
7. IDENTIFY WHOM TO TRUST.
8. REPORT SUSPECTED ABUSE IMMEDIATELY.