“An effective, Biblically sound children’s training process must be comprehensive and ultimately help kids know God intimately, love Him passionately, and serve Him selflessly.”
- Make them wise for salvation (2 Timothy 3:15);
- Thoroughly equip them to do good works (2 Timothy 3:17);
- Prepare them to answer those who ask about their hope (1 Peter 3:15);
- Prepare them for the onslaught of secular values.3
6 Keys to Discipline
- Begin teaching respect for authority while children are very young.
- Define the boundaries before they need to be enforced.
- Distinguish between willful defiance and childish irresponsibility.
- Reassure and teach after the confrontation is over.
- Avoid impossible demands.
- Let love be your guide!4
God has given us the opportunity and great privilege of being stewards of our children’s lives for a very short time. The teaching and training (paideia) we provide, however, is eternal. According to God’s promise, a child who is diligently trained in the “way he should go” will remain true to that way and will reap everlasting rewards!