God’s Word needs to be our primary parenting manual…and if for some reason we were to find ourselves with no other guide, His Word would again prove itself to be entirely sufficient. (51) This thesis, was penned by author Steve Ham in the book Raising Godly Children in an Ungodly World. Steve Ham, along with his more “famous” brother Ken Ham of the (Creation Museum and Answers in Genesis) ministries, have together written a book built upon the foundation of God’s Word, along with the Biblical lineage they were raised in.
The Ham brothers do an excellent job not only explaining (biblically) the parents role in raising their children, but they also offered numerous personal stories and events which helped mold them into mature believers, through the efforts of their parents. All you have to do is look at the fruit of the Ham brother’s lives to realize how “effective” their parents were in raising them up Godly, in the ungodly secular country of Australia. Mr. Ham (Steve and Ken Ham’s Father) who passed away in 1995, was a man devoted to raising Godly children in an ungodly world. I challenge every man reading this book to imitate Mr. Ham and impart the same biblical foundation which he built his children upon.
Here are some of the things I really liked about the book:
1. The personal stories that the Ham brothers share. It’s always great to hear “testimonies” from children who were raised by Godly parents.
2. The resources at the end of the chapter. Many of the chapters discuss apologetics, proper hermeneutics, and exegesis and provide rich resources to help equip parents to rightly divide the word of truth.
3. Devotional questions at the end of each chapter. The “key thoughts from this chapter”, “questions to consider” and “resources and tools” make this book a great resource to study in a small group setting.
4. This book is filled with God’s Word. Every chapter is built upon the foundation of scripture.
Here are some key thoughts you will be presented in this book:
- Why is the family disintegrating?
- What is a godly legacy and why is it vital to our families and our society?
- How do you create a family environment for spiritual growth?
- How are we to implement godly discipline and teach our children discernment?
- Should all children be home schooled?
Raising Godly Children Ministries